United States News Colorado Westminster Public Schools reverses course, opts to keep remote...

Westminster Public Schools reverses course, opts to keep remote learning through winter break as COVID cases surge

-

- Advertisment -

Westminster Public Schools will suspend in-person learning through winter break due to “dangerously high COVID-19 levels in Adams County” — an about-face from the district’s stance earlier this week to allow students to return on Monday.

“In conversations with local leaders on Friday, we have learned now that new stay-at-home type restrictions are going to be issued,” school Superintendent Pam Swanson said Saturday in a recorded video posted to the district’s website. “It’s thought that 1 in 58 Adams County residents now have COVID.”

That level of restriction has always been a benchmark for switching to remote learning, said Ryan McCoy, president of the Westminster Public Schools Board of Education.

The rising number of positive cases among staff and students, Swanson said, would have led to a situation where hundreds of students and staff on Monday would be forced to quarantine.

Westminster’s decision comes after its neighboring districts — Adams 12 Five Star Schools and Boulder Valley School District — elected this week to move all students to online learning through the end of the fall semester.

READ MORE  Colorado high school football: Columbine-Ralston Valley canceled due to COVID-19

On Wednesday, Westminster announced its roughly 8,500 students would return to school as planned on Nov. 16, following a two-week remote-learning period as cases surged throughout the metro area and across Colorado.

READ MORE  Firefighters respond to smoke streaming from Littleton business Thursday morning

Source link

Leave a Reply

READ MORE  Cherry Creek schools shifting all students to remote learning as COVID-19 cases surge

Latest news

- Advertisement -

Mail-in voting amplified Red and Blue Vermont; the effect turned out to be fairly even

  While many Vermont Republicans expressed concern last spring about expanding the state’s vote-by-mail system for the general election, politicians...

‘Murder on Middle Beach’ director was ‘willing to do whatever it takes’ to probe mom’s murder

With HBO’s four-part docuseries, “Murder on Middle Beach,” premiering Sunday, the 29-year-old Connecticut director explores the life...

Must read

- Advertisement -

You might also likeRELATED
Recommended to you